Friday, September 5, 2008

the "talk"

Well my mom finally sat me down last night and gave me the "talk" no not that "talk" the talk about breasts.. chicken breasts that is.

I am making chicken in my crock pot for this evening. While at her house last night I mentioned I needed to go to the store to buy chicken. She informed me that she had some frozen already, and to just take those.

I meandered into the darkness of the ominous basement to get the chicken out of the downstairs fridge. I slowly pull open the freezer door. What do I see? A live frozen chicken! It still had it's skin and bones! I ran upstairs to report that I think she was confused and that I said I wanted chicken breasts.

Looking at me dryly, she said yes.. (me) "But it has bones. I am not completely naive, I have had chicken with bones and skin, but I was certain she couldn't be serious about putting this chicken in my crock pot. She informed me it would taste better and probably even stay more moist. Plus the meat will naturally fall off the bones easier in the crock pot.

She said it's time I stop using the frozen, boneless, skinless kind because I didn't know what I was missing. So I decided to believe her, since she is one of the best cooks I know, and if you had ever tried anything from her kitchen you would too.

It's good to have moms to keep you informed on the latest goings on about chickens these days. Apparently the new fad is to wear bones and skin.

12 comments:

Kim said...

Caity...YOU KILL ME!!! I was seriously laughing out loud! Thanks...I needed that today!

caitlin said...

Thank YOU for giving me my darling crock pot!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Have you ever considered stand-up comedy? Love ya Caity!

Suz

caitlin said...

You guys are too nice. But thank you for the flattery.

Julie said...

Hope it all turns out...good to speak with you today. Let me know how the chicken tasted!

caitlin said...

Thanks for helping me out. Not only was I trying to figure it out but I had a bee chasing me around the kitchen!

Scott and Lindsey said...

I have a thing with touching meat. I can't do it. When I cut up chicken or steak (when it is raw) I have to hold a fork in one hand and cut it with a knife in the other. That chicken would have freaked me out too!
I have never cooked a Thanksgiving turkey, but I'm scared for the day. I'm pretty sure I will have to touch it.

caitlin said...

Ha! My friend Jessica and I were just talking about how one day we will have to make a turkey on Thanksgiving. We are dreading the day!

Lindsey said...

We should get together soon. My schedule is much more open this month, so I'm pretty much good anytime
Just let me know what works for you guys.
Maybe we will catch you at the Greek Festival. When are you going?

caitlin said...

Well the thing I just realized is that we are going to breakfast with our friends in the morning and then my friend is having a b-day party so I think we may have to skip it. Sad huh? :( Eat a gyro for me!

I will get organized and we can make a plan to do something fun.

Heather said...

caity-
I figure since i check you blog quite often, i'd tell you how much I enjoy reading your daily adventures. This is Bonnie's sister, Heather, hopefully you wont feel too violated!! And just wanted to also tell you how much Saige loves her TUTU that Bonnie gave her. Thanks for the laughs!

Brennie said...

the chicken tasted YUMMY!!! thanks for dinner and good times.