Thursday, July 17, 2008

Let's all get to know Caitlin a little better..


Have you ever attended a sleep-over and had those late night talks where the conversation always ends up going somewhere like "Hey what is everyone's most embarrassing moment?" You always hear people say "I can't think of one." or "I just don't get embarrassed." Unless I am there. I always have a million stupid things I have done. So I usually get the ball rolling and then by the end of the conversation everyone has shared something that they hope never leaves the room. Most sleep overs go that way. The next morning you wake up and think "Did I really just tell everyone that?", "Did we play Truth or Dare?", "Where is my bra?" (as you stumble to the freezer)

Well a while ago my cute friend Shannon posted about an embarrassing moment. (click here to read her super funny story) Which inspired me to share one with you.

I was probably 16 (old enough to know better) and was getting up to bear my testimony at church. But I figured I should say something funny, but couldn't think of what. So I got up to the pulpit and blurted out "Hi!" (far too loudly) then embarrassed I quickly mumbled the rest and left the pulpit. Not so bad right? Well here's where you might cringe.

I was half way down the stairs and realized I hadn't said "Bye!" yet. I mean, I wanted to be polite since I had started with a friendly hello. So I darted back up the stairs, pushed an old lady out of the way (who had started giving her testimony) and shouted "Bye!" (even louder than before)

I know, I know. At this point you are questioning if I have mental problems. It was honestly a weird moment where I blanked out, and nerdy, geeky, weirdo Caitlin took over and left me stunned. So stunned that after scurrying off the stand, I continued straight out the door and had to be coaxed back in.

The worst part about it was I had several people approach me for weeks after saying. "Y'know I really enjoyed your testimony, but next time you should leave out the hi and bye part." Leaving me to just hang my head, and say "Yeah, I know." What is it about people that need to point out the already embarrassing?

If any of you are brave enough, I would love to hear yours. Shannon and I have done it. I would love to know I am not the only freak-a-zoid (just saying that makes me sound like a Trekkie huh?)

5 comments:

djb said...

When I was a child (in Sunday School which is now Primary) we had a monthly scripture sentence that we would get up and say. Afterwards we would say please repeat and the rest of group would stand up and repeat it. Well, One Sunday I had just given my 2 1/2 minute talk (that's what they used to call them) and afterwards excitedly added the "Please repeat". All I remember is the president hurrying me off the pulpit.

caitlin said...

You never told me that! That's hysterical. I guess embarrassing things happen at church!

Kim said...

Well this seems to be embarrassing moments at church so I will share mine...when I was about 11 maybe...I had to give my first talk in Sacrament meeting. The morning of my talk I woke up with a zit on my chin so I cupped my hand over my chin for my entire talk. Heaven forbid I show my zit...I would much rather act like I was retarded and cup my chin!!!

caitlin said...

Ha, that's a good one too. Although I laugh everytime I think about you shooting "the guns" at your boss and doing the head bob.

Shan @ Design Gal said...

LOL! That is too funny! I should remember that cause you were in my ward, but I don't. (Which is a good thing I guess?)

Thanks for sharing!!! :)