Thursday, May 15, 2008

It's about time!

It finally happened! A plus sized girl has won ANTM. Well I guess the term is full figured. I know this probably won't change every ones minds about being anorexic, or getting liposuction. But it is a step in the right direction! I am all for being healthy. BE HEALTHY! But please, please, please don't let it overtake your mind. Try not to be obsessed with weight.

I have always struggled with this. I have always felt like I needed to change my body. To just lose a little bit more weight. It's hard not to think that way when you are assaulted by it in the media. I can't remember a time when I looked at myself in a swimsuit and thought. "Wow, I look good!" I understand that you need to look good and take care of yourself. But I am wondering if we are taking this to the extreme.

For the last couple of years I have been trying to change the way I think about my weight and my appearance. Now, while I am so so far away from being where I want to be with this. I am trying to change my focus. I am starting by doing things for me. I am putting on makeup and getting dressed cute for me. Not for anyone else. Not because I need validation. (which whether us girls admit to it or not, we seek) I have gotten a gym membership so I can lose weight the healthy way. I am not starving myself to be a size two. I am trying to be realistic with myself.

Please don't think this is me bragging in any way. Because it is not intended that way. I struggle with this very frequently. I just think that if everyone tried to not care so much about weight and appearance. We would be happier. We would be healthier. I am trying to incorporate this into my life.

I also have a very important tool to help me with this. I am extremely lucky to have Bob in my life. He motivates me, he loves me just how I am, he tells me I am beautiful even if my hair is a mess and I don't have a stitch of makeup on. He encourages me to do things that will make me happy. He helps me to not worry about what others may think about me. He helps me realize that I need to do what makes me happy. I love him. And wouldn't be who I am today without him.

I guess what I am trying to say is women are beautiful. The girl who won ANTM is gorgeous. I think we as women would think a lot more of ourselves if we accepted that not all of us are meant to be as skinny as Hollywood might tell us we should be. If we accepted that we needed to be healthy, but not so thin that our thighs don't touch. Or be constantly aware of how we look. I wish we could understand that A- life is not all about being beautiful and skinny and B- If we would start believing that we were wonderful we might just realize that we are. Just thought I would share a goal I am working on.

(Found an interesting article here)

7 comments:

Julie said...

Caity,
You are beautiful inside and out...
I completely understand about the struggle with weight...when will we ever be happy?
Julie

Jess said...

Amen, sista!

Lindsey said...

HOLY COW. I THINK THAT IS SO COOL. I STOPPED WATCH ANTM. BUT I MIGHT HAVE TO START AGAIN. I THINK WE SHOULD ALL START ACTING LIKE MEN. WHERE WEIGHT IS CONCERED. YOU NEVER HEAR MEN SAY HE LOOKS SO FAT OR TEAR EACH OTHER DOWN. LIKE WOMEN DO TO EACH OTHER. I'M PROUD OF YOU FOR WORKING OUT. I ALWAYS FEEL BETTER WHEN I WORK OUT. AND I NEED TO GET MY BUTT BACK TO THE GYM. BUT GOOD FOR YOU. YOU ALWAYS LOOK SO CUTE. AND IF YOU FEEL AS CUTE AS YOU LOOK THAT IS EVEN BETTER.. YOU ROCK...KEEP DOING WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY..

caitlin said...

Julie and Lindsey, you are both so nice. Must be because you are a mother daughter team! Hope to see you guys soon. Thanks for all the nice comments :)

Kim said...

She hardly looks 'plus' size to me!

caitlin said...

I know I agree. I think they should call models that look like that normal.

Shan @ Design Gal said...

Amen sista! Thanks for the awesome post! Love your blog!