Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Traditions

Everyone has New Years traditions. In fact it's a holiday that has an abundance. From kissing at midnight, to raising your glasses in a toast at the new year. Fireworks, and banging on pots and pans have always been a favorite at my parents home.

Well after getting married I realized I would have to expand my horizons on the traditions. Add new ones and tweak old ones. Usually Bob and I see eye to eye. But this year when Bob's brother came to visit over New Years I saw how the Selle brothers display their holiday spirit and witnessed their tradition..

After watching the fireworks and banging on pots and pans we sat back and watched the intriguing and might I say barbaric ritual of the spoon slapping.

What? You haven't heard of it? But it's seems so logical to ring in the new year with spoon shaped welts on various places all over your body.

You start with two opponents..


They then take turns hitting each other with plastic and wooden spoons as hard as they can muster until one of them says they want to stop..


And fun is had by all. Or at least that's what they tell me. I passed on this specific tradition this year. I'm just not sure if this is what that guy from the Fiddler on the Roof was singing about.

7 comments:

sonya audrey said...

LOL!!! Oh my goodness. What a complete and utter boy thing to do. :) There are always some of A's Marines visiting from time to time and they always manage to find ridiculous ways to hurt each other. Boys. Yeesh. :)

Lindsey said...

Ok, I would say that is weird, but so like boys. Why else would they throw hard things at eachother's family jewels?

jane said...

haha! boys will be boys... happy 2010 caitlin!

P.S. said...

Um, I hope that Bob jr. won't be partaking in this tradition! Oopsie, you told everyone that you're pregnant already, right? RIGHT?

caitlin said...

You're such a nerd.

P.S. said...

IN LOVE with your new header by the way!

Maroussia said...

It will be great to watch Fiddler On The Roof, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/Fiddler_On_The_Roof-tickets looking forward to it.