Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sometimes I lose my motor skills.

As some of you may know, this amazing man died a short while ago. For those of you who don't know him, he was a leader in the church I belong to.


This conference I missed hearing Elder Wirthlin speak. He is one of those speakers that radiates with love. In the past he has spoken a lot about kindness, and gratitude. He gave a talk about five years ago, that quickly became my all time favorite. It was a talk that actually helped change me for the better. That doesn't happen often.

Anyway a story.. (and in true simplycaitlin fashion it was slightly embarrassing)

A while ago I had some good friends get married. I parked in the ZCMI center parking lot and like a dummy didn't think to write down where I parked in that huge lot, or even try to remember what level I was on. So when their wedding lunch was over I headed out to my car. About an hour later I realized someone had stolen my car. Okay, okay someone must have at least moved it. I couldn't find it anywhere.

I must have looked pretty strange frantically pushing the panic button on my key fob and holding it straight up. I swear to you I looked on every single level and walked up and down every single row of cars. I was beginning to think that I was never going to see my car again.

Finally I heard my car respond in honking when I pushed the button, but it was somehow across in another parking structure. I don't know if I just went back in the wrong door or what. Having no idea how to find the car or the other structure, I was on the verge of tears. Suddenly a black limo pulls up, and out walks Joseph B. Wirthlin and his body guard.

The three of us got into the empty elevator, and exchanged looks. The funny thing was I was standing really close to Elder Wirthlin and he was about a foot shorter than me. I looked down at him, and he looked up at me with his big glasses, and I didn't know what to say. I was frantic and was upset about my car. So what do I say?

"I lost my car."

*awkward silence*

Then his body guard politely told me how to get to the other parking garage and they got out of the elevator. THAT'S ALL I SAID!! I just sat there stunned, thinking about all I would have wanted to say to him. Like how much his last talk in conference changed my life and how amazing I think he is. But did I say that? Um no, I believe my exact words were "I lost my car." I was a tad disgusted with myself.

5 minutes later I found my car and was driving home calling my parents and telling them about the adventure I just had. The moral of the story is, if you are ever in an elevator with an apostle, a celebrity, a singer whatever.. Try to say at least more than four words. Try for eleven.. I lost my car, can I take a picture with you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - that's sad! I miss him too. I agree with all of your sentiments about him. I bet you never lose your car now!
s

Heather said...

He was a great great man.
I seem to find myself saying the Darndest things too! Matt's Grandpa is Pres. Faust, and there were several times at the dinner table where i thought to myself, oh Heather just SHUT UP!! but they all have great sense of humor and realize we are nervous, (at least that is what i tell myself!!) GREAT STORY!

Anonymous said...

i love that story! you told it so well - i was there with you!!! and i bet he had a sense of what you really wanted to say, but couldn't, in your exasperated state! i would have been bawling by then!

P.S. said...

How have I never heard this story before? Hystercial! Seriously this would only happen to you!

Anonymous said...

I always feel jealous of the Pres. of the U.S. or media personalities that get to talk to our prophets/apostles. They are so lucky. Who cares about the celebrities? You were fortunate.

The VIPs said...

awesome story- caitlin : )